Vacation is over… (Sad face.) But I’m continuing to read when I can. And it’s probably why I haven’t been getting enough sleep…
Currently reading from my bookshelves:
- Calypso by David Sedaris: Too focused on Crazy Rich Asians. Hope to return to it soon.
- The Curated Closet by Anuschka Rees. See above.
- Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan: I’m so glad I saw the film first. The differences are significant enough that I would feel frustrated at the film adaptation if I were familiar with the book first. New rule: don’t go rushing to read a book before you go see its movie. See the movie first! If it’s good, then you’re sure to keep liking it, even as you dig into the richness of the book.
Recently borrowed from the library (because I can’t afford to own them all):
- The Keeping Quilt by Patricia Polacco: The author/illustrator tells the story of a special quilt passed down in her family—from mother to daughter—for nearly a century, beginning with her Great-Gramma Anna who came to New York from Russia.
- Jerome By Heart by Thomas Scotto (illus. by Olivier Tallec): A sweet story of a childhood friendship between two boys who are affectionate and thoughtful with one another.
- The Friend Ship by Kat Yeh (illus. by Chuck Groenink): Lonely Hedgehog learns that her life will get better if she looks for friendship, so she sets out in search of the Friend Ship.
- Iver & Ellsworth by Casey W. Robinson (illus. by Melissa Larson): Based on Orson the Polar Bear who sits atop the Polar Beverages factory, this tells the story of Iver who takes care of Ellsworth (a rooftop bear) and what happens when Iver must retire.